Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow, snow, and more snow!

I felt a bit like a kid yesterday when I saw that it was snowing. Caleb had his Valentine's Day party at school yesterday so we headed for his school yesterday morning. All the way to school he kept saying, "It's snowing! Hooray!" I'm glad he shares my enthusiasm for snow. I hung out at his school so that I could be there for his class party. There are only 5 kids in his class, so it didn't take long to pass out the their Valentines. I headed out after the party to get a few things done and then got the call that they were going to do an early release because of all of the snow.

On our way home I told him that when we got home that we would play out in the snow. I got another rendition of "It's snowing and we get to play in it. Hooray!" So, we got home and the search began for all of our snow clothes. Luckily we had just been skiing so they were fairly easy to find. We got all bundled up and headed out. Several of our neighbors were out too, and Caleb was excited that his buddy Matthew was outside playing. Caleb had said that he wanted to make a snowman, so I started building one. I've never had the experience of just rolling a snowball and rolling it around to make a big ball, but this snow worked that way. In fact, when I was making the middle ball for my snowman, it got so big that I ended up making it the base of a second snowman. John got home and he helped me get the snowman put together. We started our search to outfit the snowman. We used rocks for his face, and sticks for his arms. Caleb started getting excited at that point and said that our snowman looked like Frosty. John found the snowman a hat, and when he put the hat on our snowman Caleb asked if the snowman was going to come to life! Too funny. He really got into the Frosty the Snowman song this Christmas.

Here's Caleb just as we got outside!


And here he is perched on the makings of our snowman.



And here we are with "Frosty"!


Then in true Jones family tradition, John hooked up a sled to the four wheeler and took Caleb and the neighborhood kids sledding. When I was a kid, my Dad would do the same for us. Caleb had a blast with the sledding. If we had done it all night, I don't think that he would have gotten bored with it.




We did finally come in for a while to warm up. I got dinner started and after some hot cocoa and marshmallows John and Caleb headed out for another round of snow fun. This time they headed out to the back yard where Caleb discovered that his fort was covered in snow. What do you do when your slide is covered in snow? Well, you slide down it, of course. Caleb was fascinated with sliding down and landing in the snow. Then Caleb and John decided it would be funny to come knock at the door and try to peg me with a snowball when I opened it. Caleb would get so tickled that he could hardly stand. Then I'd shut the door and open it again and he'd have another giggling fit. After being out for quite a while John told him that they probably needed to come in. Caleb said, "I'm sorry Dad, but I'm having too much fun to go inside."




This morning when we got up Caleb was very anxious to go out again. We actually have received record snowfall amounts and got more than a foot of snow. Caleb played on the slide some more and then I put him on the trampoline that was covered in snow. He was just amazed at it all. He got to play some more with Jacob and Matthew and he and Jacob had a snow ball fight. Caleb was cool with that until some snow went under his shirt. I didn't see it happen and he started saying, "My tummy hurts!" Then I realized it was the snow that was just freezing him. He also ate plenty of snow. Every time he fell down he would lay in the snow and lick it. He kept saying that it tasted like ice cream. He is so funny. After we were out for a while we came inside to warm up and to get some lunch. I asked Caleb what he wanted to eat and he said "marshmallow lasagna." I told him that I didn't know how to make marshmallow lasanga, and asked him how to make it. He said that you get some marshmallows, put some cheese on them, stir it in a circle and then add some chocolate. Sounds like a lovely combo, but those are three of his favorites.

Check out how deep it was.


My little snow eater


John made it home from work and helped Caleb make a snow fort. Then of course they had to have a snowball fight. Caleb can't ever get anyone because he's laughing so hard when you get him.





We have definitely enjoyed the snow, and I know Caleb will be sad to see it go.


No comments:

Post a Comment